Recently, I was invited to a private styling event at WildJay, voted as ‘Yakima’s Best New Business for 2018’ & ‘Best New Women’s Clothing Boutique for 2018’ by The Yakima Herald.
There really is nothing quite like a new hair color for a little confidence boost going into a season like Autumn, and this year it’s rose gold.
Rose gold is a happy medium between yellow gold and silver and I love an unconventional and totally functional neutral. Also, I can tell you that it has integrated itself into my life in the form of Starbucks cups, phone cases and accessories, sunglasses – you get it. It’s an obsession and I totally admit it.
The leaves are changing, the pumpkin spice hype is real, and there is Halloween decor in the dollar section at Target. It’s officially #sweaterweather. Or for everyone else — happy Autumn! With Fashion Week in Paris just beginning today, my birthday month, a new job, and a new perspective on life have all brought so many things into my routine that it’s leaving me at a blank on where to begin for this volume. Volume 5 was all about female empowerment – you can read that one here.
“Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet.
It’s a way of entering into the quiet that’s already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.”
― Deepak Chopra
I was just like you once.
I would hear people talk about meditation and how it was this wonderfully soothing and life-changing experience for them and not believe a word they said.
1. FALL IN LINE – Christina Aguilera ft Demi Lovato – Jojo Gomez x Kaycee Rice x Tim Milgram
The first time I watched this, my mouth was literally open the entire time. There’s not a whole lot to say about this dance other than it is the epitome and mirror image of what the message of the song is about. Watch and then watch again.
2. CHRISTINE HASSLER – best-selling author, keynote speaker, master coach, podcaster, and ‘human optimization obsessed”
You guys know that I am obsessed with podcasts overall, but the immense concept of not just improvement, but optimization. I first listened to Christine talk on episode #156 of The Aubrey Marcus Podcast, which I linked below if you’re curious. The reason why she captivated me so much was the graceful, effortless way which she communicates her story about pain and the beautiful writings she produces. If you check her out, let me know and we can start a book club for one of her books!
3. Christian Dior | Haute Couture Fall Winter 2018/2019 Full Show | Exclusive
DIOR always dominates the runways, couture included. From the all-white ceilings to the dress forms hung to mimic an atelier, to the Meghan Markle-like silhouettes and feminine touches…this collections is my favorite to date. Please read Sally Singer’s more eloquent and fantastic review on Vogue here.
Cheers to a new week, everyone!
Wow, almost added a smart ass comment after that
rarely optimistic statement (lol). Honestly though, I’ve never felt so compelled to share what has been feeding my creative soul lately, especially with regards to the music. This is music that has given me so much more life–literally–than I have felt from an album in a while.
Also, shame on you for skeptically thinking to yourself that what I have is “prob not even that good” because GIRL.
IT IS THAT GOOD.
And one more thing before I share this week’s muses–thank you all for the support towards my last Monday Musings post. Read it here. It makes me so happy that you guys are finding this book helpful and are binge-listening Aubrey’s podcast. His book is next on my summer reading list, AND–I came thisssss close to submerging my entire body under my freezing cold shower recently. Some days it’s just arms and on others I can cover more area. Point being–PROGRESS.
MUSICAL & VISUAL ARTISTS
My sisters are rolling their eyes so far back in their heads right now; they are so sick of me playing his self-titled album and talking about his eyes. But honestly, I have no shame in totally crushing on this fellow-Internet person because the guy is the real deal. Shawn is genuinely, without a doubt, on my list of top male performers of all time; up there with Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, and Ed Sheeran. So let me tell you why. This Canadian crooner (See that alliteration? My AP Lit teacher would be so proud) has the suave style & musical genius of Timberlake, the charm of Bruno Mars, and the heart of Ed Sheeran-all meshed perfectly with his own wise and humbled perspectives.
Photo Credit: Unknown
Of course, I would encourage you to purchase the album, which is phenomenal and I may have to do a separate post reviewing it on its own, but if you want a little appetizer before the main course, watch this live performance of my favorite song (I cry every single time- sorry, not sorry) off of his newest album, Perfectly Wrong, on The Late Late Show with James Corden. You’re welcome.
I refer to her as a visual artist because her content is just STUNNING. Not only is she the sweetest, but the production, attention to detail, and genuine shine that lights through your screen warrants a word-of-mouth recommendation. She normally publishes travel & wellness videos, but I live for her fashion & beauty videos as well. Currently, I am following along her series called #SelfCareSummer. Check out her latest video below.
I am so happy you guys are liking these weekly bits of inspo. Connect with me on Instagram at @ThatOneFashionBlogger (I’m obsessed with IG stories) and let me know what you’re currently feeling inspired by.
Happy Monday, beautiful humans.
It’s been a minute since I have published one of these curated posts on what I am being inspired by in film, music, literature, business, fitness–you understand. A tiny bite of the Zeitgeist (if you will), from me to you. I loved writing this because it serves as an act of reflection; I can pinpoint where my head and creative mojo are at–a pattern, so to speak.
People & perspectives fascinating me lately:
Aubrey Marcus, his podcast, and his passion for love, philosophy, & tapping into your subconscious and highest potential. This is one my favorite episodes from his podcast–which overall has been downloaded some 10 million times on iTunes, so…thank me later. And then thank yourself for taking this step. [Warning: (if you have little ones around) : some explicit language.]
“The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: How to Be Calm and Mindful in a Fast-Paced World” by Haemin Sunim —Never have I read a book that flowed like water, that touched on all of the trivial annoyances and obstacles that were holding back my gratitude, and acted as a guide with his hand wisely on my shoulder. I have about 50 pages to go, but already a holy grail book. Check it out here.
I am so excited for you to guys to dive into this book or start binge-listening (sorry, not sorry) to Aubrey’s podcast if you haven’t already. Let me know of any of your current muses or sources of inspiration below!
Love and light,
Hello, everyone and HAPPY SPRING!
The sun is out, the flowers are blooming, and I couldn’t be happier for the new season. However, it seems like our lives have never been busier! Anybody else feel this way? With work, school, pets, kids, friends, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, chores, errands, hobbies you want to try, bills you have to pay, deadlines you have to meet, dresses you want to fit into–UGH! It can all be too much sometimes. And you deserve to take care of yourself. I like to think of my self-care time as rewarding my body and mind for all that it does for me 24/7.
So let’s talk about it for a second. STRESS. Everyone experiences it and the ways to relieve it are so personal and varied, but I wanted to give you an insight on my own tried and true methods.
- I always connected incense to acts of praise in churches or to create an atmosphere in a yoga studio or spa, but never researched the benefits behind the burning. Similar to essential oils, certain scents have their own benefit. Did you know to relieve stress, sandalwood and cedarwood are great because they both reduce your heart rate and sooth nerves? Who knew? Now you do. If you’re looking for some accessible and affordable ($1.99 at my local Fred Meyer) incense sticks to start out with, check out these by GONESH that I have been loving.
- I’m not sure what all I can write here to convince you guys that this really helps me in lifting my mood and will benefit you as well. I think it’s the same reason that we crave warm soup when we’re sick and why we live for those moments wrapping ourselves in a blanket straight out of the dryer–because warmth is that comfort. I love this particular one from the brand Yogi because it’s yummy (nobody likes those diluted teas, am I right?), but also because of how the blend of lavender and honey make me feel. Lavender is known to reduce stress and anxiety and even improve sleep and brain function. What else can you ask of your tea?
3. Meditate & Practicing Affirmations
- I cannot even begin to express the ways in which meditation has saved my soul. I mean every word of that. I had always heard about it and skeptically always brushed it off. Where have I been? Not meditating and being miserable, that’s where. That may be a slight exaggeration, but you follow me. Who knew that sitting still in silence and being present would help relieve so much stress?
- The other part of this method of stress-relief involves the affirmations. I began to experiment with these when I watched The Secret a few years back. However, practicing 5-10 min of affirmations at the beginning of my day is almost essential for me now. Sometimes I practice affirmations in place of meditation if I’m running behind. Regardless, I love this time to say these affirming statements of self-love, awareness, and optimism because they make me feel as though what I’m saying is practically reality. The statements go from being desires and thoughts to strong statements in the sound of your own voice. There’s something very profound in that. Here are some of my favorites that I constantly go back to.
4. Art Therapy
- This is actually a thing guys. Let me give you a bit of necessary tidbits; creative expression can be achieved through some therapeutic and creative activities, it helps with reducing stress and anxiety, and provides a meditative state in which you really have no choice but to participate in. I love how this article about the benefits of art therapy put it–“Unplugging from technology promotes creation over consumption.” I have always been a creative, so when I don’t work with my hands on something colorful like sketching or even ripping my favorite pages from a magazine for a mood board, I basically lose my marbles. I got this ‘adult’ coloring book a while ago and have been immersed in it recently. So much so, that hours go by and I am so consumed by what I am working on that I don’t even notice. I really love this method of stress-relief because there is a beautiful and colorful result at the end, and because I am so concentrated on the colors I am choosing and how it’s all looking. Honestly, I have no choice but to be the most present that I can be and all other worries naturally fall to the wayside. Check out the progress I have made on this piece!
I very much sincerely hope that you found these helpful and that you find yourself inspired to implement any–or all!–of these methods into your lifestyle. Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts!
Until the next post,
It’s April 1st! I know. Let that sink in for a moment. It feels as thought it was just yesterday we were holiday shopping and making our 2018 resolutions.
But if I know anything, it’s that time keeps ticking and the seasons keep changing. With that being said, I wanted to let you all know that if you are wondering about Spring trends (maybe you’re not), gingham is making a strong statement this season. It is here to stay, making its cameo on dresses, sandals, and bathing suits. I was never for the print, honestly. It always reminded me a picnic and I wasn’t into it. I preferred all types of floral prints when it came to dressing for this season. I know–florals for spring. Groundbreaking. But I saw this top at TJMaxx (one of my absolute favorite places to shop) and knew I would be adding it to my outfits this season. It has bell sleeves, which again, I am obsessed with. It was tapered and constructed in a way that it flares out a bit at the waist and narrows around the chest area–flattering for my petite and curvy figure. This one is by NANETTE by Nanette Lepore and it was $24.99.
I wanted to go for a pair of white jeans for a look that said “I’m SO over winter.”, yet was clean (aka not distressed) and could transition to a family brunch or coffee meeting. These I got last year at TJMaxx as well. They’re by a brand called d. jeans and I got them for around $24.99. Naturally, I finished off the look with by favorite Steve Madden sandals from Nordstrom and my favorite statement necklace by Stella & Dot. I bought these around the holidays this past season and wear them all of the time. The heel is low enough for my fractured right foot and polished enough for any outfit. The necklace is a best-selling piece for us and one of the first things I bought myself when I became a stylist and opened up shop last fall. P.S. It also comes in gold.
I was in need of some new sunglasses when my infamous rose gold Quay ones bit the dust recently. I work at an optometrist and took it to a coworker to see if there was a possibility of a repair, but, unfortunately, there was not. A moment of silence, please. I saw these in (yep) TJMaxx on this same shopping trip and scored these for $7.99! They’re by Elie Tahari’s TAHARI and they have the most beautiful sand-colored frame with a gold metal bar for the nose bridge and subtle blue tinted lenses. Bring on the sunshine.
Left to right from image:
What do you all think of this trend? Are you a gingham skeptic like me or are you already owning your 3rd piece in the print? Let me know in the comments! Also, be sure to follow me over on Instagram because I will be announcing my 1k followers giveaway this week!
Thank you for all of your continued support. I hope to keep creating content that you guys enjoy! It truly means the world to me.
Hello, beautiful people.
It’s been a minute. How’s it going in your life? Ready for Spring? Me TOO!
One of my goals for my blog this year is to work with smaller brands that tell a big story–and bring awareness to them! I am pretty selective on the brands I choose to collaborate with because not only is my time — and theirs– valuable, but I also know how valuable your trust is.
That being said, let me introduce you to Jord Watches. A watch brand so unique, I have gotten compliments from both men and women of various age groups. Immediately, I was intrigued to the wood. Crazy cool, right? It’s not like anything out on the market. The next thing I thought about was how I would probably ruin it. How do you even care for a wooden watch? The site has a complete guide on how to maintain the life of your watch. By the way, did you know that the cold temperatures shrink wood? Maybe just me, honestly. But I was blown away in the moment. They even send you a small tube of cleaner with a microfiber cloth in a gorgeous wooden box to care for and store your watch! A major plus.
So not only was I feeling confident about wearing what seemed like a delicate piece, I was even more intrigued by the varying styles! The site features an obvious section dedicated to both men and women, but there are so many designs ranging from a more conservative, scholarly rectangular face with a thin band and Roman numerals, to a larger boyfriend-style watch with rose gold dials. Also, they offer over 10 different styles of wood! Who knew it was so versatile?
You guys know how much I am obsessed with rose gold and I wanted to try a watch with a bigger face than what I currently have. I had a few options, but I just had to go with the Frankie Watch. I found the minimalist style incredibly streamlined and I could not be more happy! Also, if you are even sort of thinking about getting a special piece like this engraved, I highly recommend it! A major shout-out to the Jord team. Mine was engraved and it was such a sentimental moment seeing something so important to me written in wood. It’s the little things, you know?
We wanted to give you guys a chance to have your very own Jord, so they are giving one of you $100 towards a watch! This contest is super easy; all you have to do is click this link and submit the entry form. I’m not even going to tempt you with following me on the socials. But you can if your heart desires and I definitely won’t be mad about it. Also, even if you don’t win, you will get a code after the contest ends for 10% off! The giveaway will close 3/18 at 11:59pm.
P.S. I recently achieved 1,000 followers over on Instagram and I just wanted to give you a huge thank you for visiting my tiny little corner of the internet. I love you!
Disclaimer: This was a sponsored post as Jord gifted me with the watch in exchange for a review. All opinions about the product are my own.